Thursday, June 16, 2011

Project Bottleneck (Empties) #1

I've decided to go minimalist...with my skincare that is (I don't think I could ever go back to just a small tray of makeup though...sigh).

Thus, the inaugural Project Bottleneck. New name, old concept. Finish up all the skin/body/hair products that are lying neglected in your bathroom cupboards until you get down to the bare essentials. For me, this means one of each type of product (cleanser, toner, body wash, moisturizer, etc.) with the exception of shampoo and conditioner (I need 2 sets to rotate).

I have what seems like so many bottles which were bought on sale and never seem to go empty or just random bath product gifts which I just need to use up so I can de-clutter my drawers and keep only HG-approved products.

PB has no numbers attached to it. It's all relative to how many products you have. I won't be buying any new bath/skin products unless I've run out of that particular type of product. My goal is to get down to the bare essentials in 3 months.

Here is what I've used up so far...


Avalon Organics Nourishing Shampoo & Conditioner - This is a Canadian brand. For the last 6 months I've only been using shampoos that are sulphate-free and it has made a significant difference to the quality of my hair.
I will definitely repurchase from this brand once I'm down my last shampoo/conditioner bottles for PB. If you look at the ingredient list, 95% of it is plant-derived. Has a nice herbal/lavender smell and it leaves my hair silky soft and frizz-free. It's VERY moisturizing so I would recommend this to people with thick hair (I think it would weigh down fine hair). Great winter hair products since it protects from the dry, cold air. You can get this at Loblaws, Superstore, and I've seen it at some Shoppers Drugmarts.

Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser - I mentioned this very briefly here in my skincare post. This is great at removing the majority of my makeup except for stick eyeliners. It does take most of it off, but you still need a makeup remover to get rid of the panda eyes. It contains salicylic acid which is effective against acne and leaves my skin feeling clean and refreshed but not tight. It helped reduce the appearance of my acne scars and it has evened my skin tone out.
The only con? I've noticed this with every single Aveeno product that I've ever purchased. The pump always breaks before you finish the product...whether it's a moisturizer pump, or a foundation-style pump (re: Positively Radiant moisturizer), or the foaming cleanser pump (as seen above). Very annoying! Luckily I was able to unscrew the top and use up the remaining liquid...one of the best parts was putting a handful of foam on your face! :(
I probably won't repurchase just because of this fact. Just goes to show that packaging can be just as important as the product itself.

Boots Organics Cleansing Body Scrub - I got this in a clearance bin at Shoppers for $5! One of the best scrubs ever. I haven't heard any UK blogger/youtuber talk about this at all, but if you can find it, buy it!! It does not leave any oily residue at all! The crystals also don't dissolve instantly on your skin, so you can actually exfoliate your skin. Very light fresh scent and gel-like formula. Decent abrasiveness but it won't rip your skin off :)

Dove Supreme Cream Oil Body Wash - This is the lavender scent. Very moisturizing formula. I prefer to use this in winter since I like gel body washes in the summer. I've decided that I don't like lavender. Good formula, but if I were to repurchase, I would choose a different scent. Non-beauty-obsessed people would repurchase this because it works, but note that I rarely repurchase body washes...I like to try everything and I'm not picky with soap.

Herbal Essences Fruit Fusions Conditioner - I've had this for over 2 years!!! This is actually from Germany and I think this particular line has been since discontinued. I want to get rid of all my non-SLS-free and non-organic shampoos/conditioners. I don't think I'll ever go back to Herbal Essences (before seeing the light, HE conditioners were the only ones I used). Therefore, will not repurchase.

Omg...I need to cut down my writing...sorry!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea, I could do something like this myself with all the things I have lying around... :)
    I really like your blog, you have such a cute design and lovely photos <3

    http://thedollhousediary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Summer

    Thank you so much! I was reading your blog and admiring your photography too! Love the room tour post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Avalon Organics products! I regularly use their conditioners, hand soaps, and body lotions. But their shampoos are just okay for me.
    Funny thing, I actually tried the Aveeno cleanser awhile back and it completely ruined my skin. It became so red and itchy. Maybe I had an allergic reaction...I'm glad it works for you though. It can be really hard finding a cleanser that works well without irritation.
    Nice blog, I hope to read more soon :)

    ReplyDelete